Friday, February 3, 2012

Sleep Training Mommy

Sam went to the pediatrician yesterday for his four month check-up.  My little chunky monkey weighs a hefty 16lbs 12oz (almost 10lbs more than when he was born!).  I was worried he was getting a little too chubby - whenever we're out people comment on how big he is for a four-month-old.  I was pleasantly surprised when the pediatrician said he was PERFECT!  He's in the 85th percentile for his weight and she was thrilled about that.  ...Go Sam!

The doctor asked how he was doing sleeping through the night...hmmmm....he wasn't.  Lately, Sam's been fighting sleep and usually wakes up every 3-4 hours chewing on his hands and "talking" - I usually feed him and he goes right back to sleep.  He also usually sleeps in our room in his pack-n-play next to the bed (he outgrew his little cradle a couple weeks ago).  The pediatrician recommended sleep training him with the Cry-It-Out (CIO) method.  This involves doing a bedtime routine at night, picking a bedtime, laying him down even if he's crying and just go in and check on him at certain time intervals reassuring him that you're still there...but NO picking him up!

I started realizing that it may be time for him to start sleeping in his crib at night - all night.  Ever since he was about six-weeks-old, I would put him in his crib for naps and for the first part of his nightly sleep so that he could get used to sleeping there.  At night, when John and I were ready for bed (around 11pm), I would scoop up sleeping Sam and take him to our room and put him in his cradle next to our bed.

Well...last night was his first night in his crib ALL NIGHT LONG.  How is the sleep training going so far?  Great for Sam...not so great for Mommy.  Sam fell right to sleep at 8:30pm last night - NO TEARS!  Mommy spent the next three hours studying sleep training methods for babies and working on Sam's baby book.  Then it was time for Mommy to go to bed.  I reluctantly left Sam in his crib and walked sadly to the other side of the house, turned up the baby monitor loud enough to hear Sam breathing, put the baby monitor in his pack-n-play next to my bed and sobbed.  I couldn't sleep at all.  Finally Sam woke up at 1:30am to eat.  I fed him (it had been 5 hours since he went to bed which is considered a good nighttime stretch for a four-month-old)...he went right back to sleep in his crib.  But Mommy was too sad to march all the way across the house to her bedroom...so she slept on the couch right outside Sam's room for the rest of the night with the baby monitor loud enough to hear him breathing.  :(

Apparently we are sleep training Mommy - not Sam.

Jumping in the Jumperoo!



My Gooberific Billy Bob

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHA! This so reminds me of the one (and only!) night Gabriel slept in his crib...all the way on the other side of the house (stupid split plans). I spent the first half of the night glued to the video monitor in my own bed, the gave up the fight and slept on the floor next to the crib. I realized it was not for us! We love co-sleeping! Of course, what works for one family might not work for another, so I'm not judging, I'm just sharing! =) I just love the snuggle time I get during the night, because when he's awake, all bets are off! I think working full time has something to do with it too. I can't imagine being away from him for 12 more hours!

    Good luck Jennifer. Sam sounds like he's ready for his crib. I'm sure once you adjust, you will be able to sleep more soundly too! You are a great Mom to care so much! (And the comment about working on the baby book made me feel a little guilty...haven't opened his in two months !) XOXO - Erica

    ReplyDelete